18th Century York Maine Town Hall Mural

17th Century | 18th Century | 19th Century | 20th Century

Original Wabanaki name for Berwick

The area now known as South Berwick was originally known as Newichawannock by the native tribes. The meaning of the name is “river with many falls,” describing the Salmon Falls River and the many waterfalls along the length.

Settlements in Newichawannock began around 1624, with the area initially being part of the possessions of Sir Ferdinando Gorges.  Berwick was incorporated in 1713 and was once significantly larger than its present size. In 1749, the original town was divided into the a northern and southern parish, which eventually led to its split. South Berwick was officially set off from Berwick in 1814 and North Berwick was established as a separate town in 1831.